Get to find here the Arabian Chicken Shawarma recipe that is going to knock your socks off! Just a handful of every day spices makes an incredible Arabian Chicken Shawarma marinade that infuses the chicken with exotic Middle Eastern flavors at the comfort of your home. The smell when this is cooking is insane!
Arabian Chicken Shawarma
What else can make you so happy and contented when you can make the Delicious and Healthy version of Arabian Shawarma at home? I got to learn this for Zain who just loves Shawarma and wants it badly once a week. And why not, when it’s completely Guilt- Free!!
A middle eastern wrap, the Chicken Shawarma Recipe is an on-the-go meal by itself. Packed in a Pita with shredded chicken, pickled veggies and a yummilicious yogurt or mayo spread, this recipe is a keeper.
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
This is a favourite dish that everyone loves to eat. Shawarma hails from the Middle Eastern region, which is considered as a meat preparation made with chicken, beef, lamb or turkey.
The meat is usually placed on a spit which is nothing but a vertical grill and roasted until the meat is cooked. Using a knife the meat is shaved to thin slices and then mixed along with some hummus, crunchy onions and wrapped with pickled cucumber and green chillies.
Here at Riyadhmommy we have recreated the shawarma in a simpler form so that you can easily try this out in your kitchen and surprise your family.
- 3/4 tbs
- p Cumin Powder.
- 3/4 tbsp Turmeric Powder.
- 3/4 tbsp Coriander powder.
- 3/4 tbsp garlic powder.
- 3/4 tbsp Red Chilli powder.
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves.
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, more if you prefer
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced.
- 1 large Cucumber, finely chopped.
- Spicy Mayonnaise.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil.
How to prepare Mayo Sauce.
- Add the Onions, Capsicum and Cucumbers with some coriander leaves and parsley. Now add the Mayonnaise. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper into it.
How to make chicken shawarma at home.
1. Make the shawarma spice mixture. Simply add the spices into a small bowl and mix to combine.
2. Cut up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs into small bite-size pieces. (you can use chicken breast if you like, this is just my personal preference.)
3. Spice the chicken up, make sure to coat the chicken well with the spice mixture. Add onions, lemon juice, Yoghurt and extra virgin olive oil. If you have the time, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight (if you don’t, you can skip the marinating time, it’ll still be delicious).
4. When ready, lay the chicken shawarma on a large sheet pan. And bake in 425 degrees heated oven for 30 minutes or so (you can check a bit earlier as ovens do vary.) OR You can Fry them with some olive oil.
5. Now apply some plain Mayo to the pita bread or Khuboos. Place the fried Chicken on to the Bread. Place the Mayo Sauce with Veggies. You can also add some Fries if looking for restaurant style shawarma.
How to Serve Chicken Shawarma?
The true Middle Eastern way to serve chicken shawarma is in pita pockets or wraps with heaps of veggies and a good deal of sauce. I like the idea of loaded pita pockets. You can use Khuboos otherwise which is also a healthy option.